Terrorism Threat post Manchester Bombing May 2017
In response to the recent events in Manchester, we want to reinforce and emphasise the importance of vigilance and of reporting any concerns to the anti-terrorist hotline.
The current UK threat level for international terrorism is: SEVERE
This means that a terrorist attack is highly likely.
If you see or hear anything that could be terrorist-related trust your instincts and call the anti-terrorist hotline on 0800 789 321.
All SIA approved qualifications include counter-terrorism awareness, including looking out for hostile reconnaissance.
Spotlight Security SIA staff deploy staff receive training in behavioural detection.
The following guidance is taken from National Counter Terrorism Office (NaCTSO) recently launched publication ‘the National Stakeholder Menu of Tactical Options’.
We aim to be proactive in challenging visitors, vehicles and anything out of place and consider the following options particularly around crowded places, night time economy and iconic sites:
- Review patrol strategy (be unpredictable). Adopt high visibility clothing
- Brigade resources with neighbouring contracts/buildings
- Report any suspicious activity in a timely manner. Early reporting of suspected hostile reconnaissance is vital in combating terrorism
- Implement communication links with surrounding premises to pass on information about suspicious activity/behaviour
- Consider closing non-essential access and exit points
- Focus CCTV on all communal areas and vulnerable points
- Ensure CCTV is fit for purpose
We recommend that security operatives refresh themselves with how to be vigilant by watching the video ‘Personnel security – Eyes Wide Open’ by the Centre for the Protection for National Infrastructure (CPNI). The following resources are available:
Watch the video:
Download the guidance: Protecting crowded places from terrorism
Find out more about: